Urban studies – urban sociology and urban planning basics
|Kod Erasmus / ISCED:||(brak danych) / (brak danych)|
|Nazwa przedmiotu:||Urban studies – urban sociology and urban planning basics|
|Jednostka:||Instytut Profilaktyki Społecznej i Resocjalizacji|
Przedmioty Instytutu Profilaktyki i Resocjalizacji (zaoczne)
Przedmioty ogólnouniwersyteckie IPSIR, studia zaoczne
Przedmioty ogólnouniwersyteckie na Uniwersytecie Warszawskim
|Punkty ECTS i inne:||
|Język prowadzenia:||(brak danych)|
mieszany: w sali i zdalnie
The subject is to present to the students the most important issues and problems in the field of urban studies and the processes that affect it. During the course, the most important sociological, urban, psychological and anthropological theories about phenomena important for urbanization and the development of settlement processes in relation to various settlement forms - cities and more - are presented. Thanks to this, participants will learn about the most important phenomena related to urbanization, urban policy, and all processes that are of interest in interdisciplinary urban studies. This subject is discussed on practical examples and develops the urban knowledge of students.
The aim of the course is to present the students the most important issues and problems in the field of studies on urban space and its processes. During the course, the most important sociological, urban, psychological and anthropological theories concerning phenomena significant from the point of view of urbanization and the development of settlement processes, as well as practical examples of urban phenomena, are presented.
Moreover, participants of the course will learn about the methods of conducting research in urban areas. In addition to the classroom activities, the program is complemented by urban walks in the city.
Completion of the course is based on the preparation of research projects on urban space in working teams (group work). This allows the knowledge acquired during a university-wide course to be adapted to the programs of individual fields of a study carried out by students, as well as their individual interests. As a consequence, it develops their interests related to urban studies and urban planning, as well as their knowledge of interdisciplinary urban policy.
- classes – 15
- own preparation for the classes – 5
- preparation for the exam – 80
1. Davies M., Planet of Slums, London: Verso, 2006.
2. Gehl J., Svarre B., How to Study Public Life, Washington: Island Press, 2013.
3. Florida R., The New Urban Crisis: How Our Cit-ies Are Increasing Inequality, Deepening Segre-gation, and Failing the Middle Class-and What We Can Do About It, Basic Books, New York 2017.
4. Jacobs J., The Death and Life of Great American Cities, New York: Vintage Books, 1961.
5. McGuirk J., Radical Cities: Across Latin Ameri-ca in Search of a New Architecture, London: Verso, 2014.
6. Merrifield A., The New Urban Question, Lon-don: Pluto Press, 2014.
7. Stein S., Capital City: Gentrification and the Re-al Estate State, New York: Verso, 2019.
|Efekty uczenia się:||
Upon completing this course a student
in terms of knowledge:
- has basic interdisciplinary knowledge of contemporary urbanization issues.
- understands the most important theories characteristic of urban studies.
in terms of skills
- can use his interdisciplinary knowledge to analyze urbanization processes.
- can use his interdisciplinary knowledge to prepare analyzes, expert opinions, strategies, spatial plans, or others in the field of development programming.
in terms of social competences:
- is able to work in a group in a research team.
|Metody i kryteria oceniania:||
The basis for passing the course is the preparation by students of conceptual projects - group presentations related to the topics discussed during the course.
These projects are consulted with the teacher, and the techniques enabling their preparation and presentation are part of the issues discussed during the classes.
Additional criteria are the presence of the required number of classes and systematic work during the semester. This allows the participants of the classes to increase their individual final grades, regardless of the grade given on the basis of the group works presented.
Zajęcia w cyklu "Semestr letni 2022/23" (w trakcie)
|Okres:||2023-02-20 - 2023-06-18||
zobacz plan zajęć
Konwersatorium, 15 godzin, 10 miejsc
|Prowadzący grup:||Łukasz Drozda|
|Lista studentów:||(nie masz dostępu)|
Zaliczenie na ocenę
Konwersatorium - Zaliczenie na ocenę
Właścicielem praw autorskich jest Uniwersytet Warszawski, Wydział Nauk Ekonomicznych.